| ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Next morning, there was no wind and we were half a mile from the eastern coast of the island.
第二天早晨,一丝风都没有,我们距离岛的东岸还有半英里。
Although the sun shone bright and hot, I hated the thought of Treasure Is-land,afraid of what would happen there.
尽管阳光灿烂而温暖,我却憎恨这个金银岛,害怕可能发生的一切。
Because there was no wind, the small boats pulled the ship three or four miles round the island, to a safe place to drop the anchor1.
因为没有风,我们用小船拖着大船在岛的周围绕了三四英里,到一个安全的地方下锚。
I went in one of them.
我上了其中一只小船。
It was hard work pulling the ship, and the men argued.
用小船拖大船是件苦差事,大家都在抱怨。
然后,他们就坐在甲板上,哪怕一个小小的命令也会遭到白眼。
如果我再下命令,船长说,所有的船员都会暴乱,
Only one man can help us.
只有一个人能帮我们。
谁?乡绅问。
Silver,replied the captain.He wants to keep things calm as much as we do;
西尔弗,船长回答。他也和我们一样想稳住局面,
he wants the men to wait.
他希望他的人不要轻易动手。
Let's allow them an afternoon on shore.
我建议下午让他们上岸去。
If they all go, we'll have the ship.
如果他们都去,我们就夺回船。
If some go, Silver will bring them back as gentle as sheep.
如果几个人去,西尔弗带他们回来的时候,他们会像绵羊一样听话。
Guns were given to all the honest men. Hunter ,Joyce, and Redruth were told what was happening, and were less surprised than we expected them to be.
枪已分发给所有可靠的人。亨特、乔伊斯、雷德拉斯也知道了事情的真相,他们并不像我们想像的那么惊讶。
Then the captain went on deck to talk to the crew.
船长走上甲板向全体船员宣布:
Men ,you've had a hot ,tiring day,he said.The boats are still in the water.
朋友们,他说,大家过了又累又热的一天,小船还在水里。
谁要是愿意,下午都可以上岸去。
You'll hear a gun half an hour before the sun goes down to call you back.
在日落前半小时我放炮通知大家。
They all became happier at once.
他们一下子都笑逐颜开。
I think they thought they would find the treasure lying around on the beach!
我想,他们以为一上岸就能在沙滩上找到他们要的宝藏。
After some talk, six men stayed on board ,and the others, with Silver, got into the small boats.
他们商量了一下,六名水手留在船上,其他人,包括西尔弗,都登上小船上了岸。
I then had the first of the mad ideas that helped to save our lives.
我忽然想到第一个近乎疯狂的想法—正是这主意后来救了我们的命。
If six men were left, we could not take control of the ship;
既然留下六个人,我们就无法控制船;
and because only six were left, the captain's men did not need my help.
但又因为只留下六个人,船长的人也不是非要我帮忙不可。
So I quickly went over the ship's side and into the nearest boat.我迅速逃离大船跳上一只最近处的小船。No one took much notice of me, only one man saying,Is that you ,Jim?
没人注意到我,只有一个人问了一句:是你吗,吉姆?
But Silver called from the other boat, wanting to know if it was me.
西尔弗在另一只船上喊了一句,以便确定是不是我。
Then I began to worry if I had done the right thing.
我又开始担心是不是应该这么做。
小船都争先恐后向岸边驶去,我们的小船第一个到达。
I ran towards the trees.
我上岸后就向树林里跑去,
Silver and the rest were a hundred me-tres behind,and I heard him shouting,Jim ,Jim!
西尔弗他们还在百米之后,我听见他在喊:吉姆,吉姆!
但我没有理睬他,在树和灌木丛间飞跑,一直跑到不能再跑为止。
I was pleased to lose Long John and began to enjoy looking around this strange island.
我很高兴逃离高个约翰,我开始巡视这个奇怪的小岛。
I crossed wet ground and came to a long,open piece of sand,
我穿过一片沼泽地带,来到一片长而开阔的沙地,
then went on to a place where the trees had branches that were thick and close to the sand.
然后到了沙地附近一片树高叶茂的地方。
Just then I heard distant voices, Sliver's among them, and hid behind a tree.
我忽然听见远处有说话的声音,西尔弗也在其中,他站在一棵树后面。
Through the leaves, I saw Long John Silver and another of the crew talking together.
透过树叶,我看见高个约翰正和几个船员说话。
因为
Silver,said Tom.You're old and you're honest, or so men say;
西尔弗,汤姆说,你年纪大了,又很老实,名声不坏—至少人们是这么说的;
又很有钱,不像那些穷海员。
And you're brave.
你很勇敢,
Why let yourself be led away with that kind of scoundrel? I'd rather die than-
为什么不和那些蠢东西断绝来往呢?要是我,宁可死也不—
忽然,远处传来一阵叫喊声,然后是一声长长的惨叫。
I had found one honest man here, and that ter-rible, distant scream told me of another.
我在这儿找到了一个诚实的人,而那声惨叫让我知道还有另外一个人。
John!said Tom.What was that?
约翰!汤姆喊道,那是什么声音?
That?replied Silver. His eyes shone like pieces of broken glass in the sun.That'll be Alan.
哪个?西尔弗答道,他的眼睛像碎玻璃在阳光下一样发亮。那是艾伦的声音。
艾伦!汤姆嚷起来,那么忠厚老实的人!
John Silver, you've been a friend of mine, but for no longer.
约翰·西尔弗,你曾经是我的朋友,但今后不是了。
You've killed Alan, have you?
你杀了艾伦,对吗?
Then kill me, too,if you can!
你也杀了我吧!如果你做得到。
The brave man turned his back on Silver and began to walk back to the beach.
这个勇敢的人转身背对着西尔弗向岸边走去。
西尔弗大叫一声,把拐杖扔出去。
It hit poor Tom between the shoulders, and he fell to the ground with a cry.
拐杖击中了汤姆背脊中央,汤姆大叫一声倒在地上。
Silver, as quick as a monkey ,was on top of him in a moment.
西尔弗像猴子一样灵巧地蹿到汤姆身边,
在他身上狠狠捅了两刀。
As I watched, the whole world seemed to swim away before me in a mist-Silver, the birds above, the tall Spyglass hill.
看到这一切,整个世界像一团雾飘离而去—西尔弗、头上的鸟儿、高高的望远镜山。
When I was myself again, Silver was standing14 with his crutchunder his arm, cleaning the blood from his knife with some grass.
我恢复清醒以后,西尔弗已经拄着拐杖站起来了,正用草擦拭刀上的血。
我尽可能不出声,一点一点挪动脚步,
and as soon as was clear of the trees, began to run as I had never run before.
等我离开那片树林后,撒腿就跑,比以前任何时候跑得都快。
点击收听单词发音
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
- 发表评论
-
- 最新评论 进入详细评论页>>