46)scratch the surface 只懂皮毛,很不了解(通常和限制性副词如only, hardly等词连用)
Model:
——You’ve certainly done a lot of research for your project. (你显然对你的课题做了不少研究。)
——It seems like a lot, but actually I’ve only scratched the surface. (看上去不少,但事实上我只懂一些毛皮。)
47)up in the air 尚未决定的;捉摸不定的;悬而未决的
Model:
——Her plans for the weekend are still up in the air. (她尚未决定如何度过这个周末。)
48)wear and tear 磨损;消耗
Model:
——Why do you always put on slippers1 when you go into your apartment? (为什么你老是一进公寓就穿上拖鞋?)
——It saves wear and tear on the carpet. (拖鞋不磨损地毯。)
49)with flying colors 大获全胜;胜利地
Model:
——How did Ellen do on her Ancient History exam? (Ellen古代史考得怎么样?)
——She passed with flying colors. (她考得好极了。)
50)get off on the wrong foot 开始就不顺利;一开始就犯了个错误
Model: [1995.5.]
——I hate to get off on the wrong foot. (我讨厌一开始就犯错误。)
51)get on someone’s nerves2 使人不安,使人心烦
Model: [1996.8.]
——Why did you come to the meeting late? I left a message with your roommate about the time change. (为什么你开会迟到?我让你的同屋告诉你改时间的事了。)
——She has a very short memory and it really gets on my nerves sometimes. (她记性不好,有时真让我心烦。)
52)give someone a break 不要去管,饶了某人吧
Model: [1994.5.]
——Give me a break. I’m nervous enough as it is. (不要管我,我已经够紧张了。)
53)head and shoulders above (在…方面)强于某人
Model: [1991.10.]
——In computer programming, Susan is head and shoulders above the rest of us.(在计算机编程上,Susan比我们强。)
54)in the red 赤字,负债
Model: [1996.5.]
——So far the clubs are about three hundred dollars in the red, and we still have four months to go before membership3 renewal4. ( 到目前为止,俱乐部有300元赤字,然而还有4个月才到交会员费的时间。)
——Well, we may have to raise our dues.(那么,我们必须提高会员费了。)
55)in the dark 一无所知;不了解情况
Model: [1994.1.]
——Do you have any idea what this notice is about? (你知道这通知讲的是什么吗?)
——I’m as in the dark as you are. (我也跟你一样不了解情况。)