1. in turn一个接一个地
in return 作为回报 I tried to do a good deed, but this is what I got in return,
by turns=one after the other
take turn to do sth.轮流做某事
turn secretary=become a secretary
turn to sb ( for help ) turn up=appear
turn out=prove to be / produce
turn down 拒绝=refuse；音量调低 ；向下翻；
2. If she spent five years in
come across 越过某处；被理解；偶然发现, 偶然遇到
come into being／existence 出现，开始形成，建立
come into use／service 开始使用 （无被动）
come out 出来; 出发；出版；名列…；（总数等）达到（+ at/to）
come to light 泄露（真相）；被发现
cf. Your statement does not throw light on the subject. 并没有说明问题
come true实现，变成现实 My dream has come true. 我的一个梦想实现了。
Cf. realize one’s dream reach one’s goal turn sth into reality
come up 升起；走进；种子生长发育； 被提出
come up with an idea（突然）想出办法
3. go all out to do sth 全力以赴去做某事 =try one’ best to…=do what / all one can to…
go beyond 超出；超出…的能力 go beyond one’s ability / imagination / control
go in for参与，参与（竞赛等）；从事（某项工作）；爱好，酷爱
go out (火)熄灭,过时了
cf. put out the fire（灭火） put off 推迟, 延期( put off the meeting )；
put down the rebellion(镇压)
go with 相配 （同义词match / go along with）
4. keep in touch with与…保持联系(指状态)
get in touch with (指动作)
keep up your courage保持勇气，别泄气
keep up with 跟上 catch up with 赶上
5. look down upon/ on sb 轻视某人；鄙视某人/某物
look on /upon sb./sth. as 把...看作.(近义词组：regard…as; treat…as; consider…as/to be)
look over 对…审阅；粗略地看；翻阅
look up a word in a dictionary查阅…
look through 透过…看（尤指空隙或透明物体等）；（从头到尾）初略地翻阅
look up to sb 尊敬某人
look sb. in the eye 盯着
6. make oneself at home（如同在家一般）随便些，不必客气
make arrangements for为…做安排
make a been line for取捷径前往
make room for让出地方，腾出空间
make the best of 充分利用 ，尽量利用
make the most of尽量利用，善于利用
make up for lost time/ground加紧努力补回失去或落后的时间
make oneself heard / understood使自己被别人听到/听懂理解
make good /no sense有意义/没意义
make tea/coffee 泡茶/咖啡
make for有助于，使成为 Cultural exchanges make for mutual understanding.
7. put away 放好；收起来；把…放在原位；储藏 放弃
put sth. in order（使）整齐
put on weight增加体重(lose weight减肥，减少体重)
put on your clothes穿衣 take off your clothes脱衣
put an end/stop to制止，使停止，结束
cf. come to an end（某事）结束 end up with failure以失败而告终
put up with和某人住在一起；忍受，忍耐=bear / stand
put through 做成，完成；接通电话 使通过考试；使经历（难受的事）
8. take sb. by surprise （出人意料地）攻占；撞见
take A for B 把A误认为是B
take sb./sth. for granted认为…是必然情况，视为当然
take sth. into account/consideration加以考虑；予以重视
take advantage of 利用；占…的便宜
take the opportunity of抓住机会；利用（机会）
take charge of开始负…的责；看管；控制
take it easy=Don’t be nervous
take your time 从容 Take your time. There is still half an hour left.
take the place of代替 cf. stand for代表
take on a new look 呈现新面貌 take off脱下,起飞
take on sb 雇用 =employ sb=hire sb
take in fresh air=absorb
take up 占据(时间,地方)；从事于 take up space / much time take up a city攻占城市
take up arms (against)拿起武器反对…，武装起来与…作对
9. turn down 拒绝；音量调低 ；向下翻；
It turns out that知道是…，结果证明是
It is one's turn to do sth 轮到某人做某事
turn over a new leaf重新生活，改过自新
turn in sth to sb 上交
10. not a little=much not a bit=not at all=not in the least
---Are you hungry?
---Not a little. I could eat a horse.
11. break away from（the Union ）脱离（联邦）
get rid of bad habit 去掉 do away with废除
12. drop in at a place drop in on ab 顺便拜访
13. due to=caused by The accident was due to careless driving.
owing to=because of Owing to the rain they could come.
thanks to=as a result of Thanks to your help we were successful.
14. feel like doing=would like to do…
15. figure out=imagine=work out make out 辩认，拼凑
16. have a gift for=be talented at
17. in short简言之 in a word 一句话
18. knock into sb=happen to meet sb cf. knock sb down 撞倒
19. let out a cry of surprise= cry out
20. It is no wonder that …
There is no doubt that …
21. on show在展出 cf. show off one new clothes 炫耀
22. out of order=in a mess / sth goes wrong in (good) order
23. pick up sb 开车去接 pick out=choose
24. run short of run out of=use up
Our supplies have run short（不用被动语态）=We have run short of supplies.
25. run for 竞选 call for=need
send for a doctor=ask sb to go to fetch a doctor
apply for the position 申请
run into sb=(suddenly) see sb撞上/碰到
26. set about to do sth=set out to do sth
27. burst out laughing carry out a plan执行
The war broke out in late autumn.
His shoes were worn out. wear out 穿破
28. cut down the price 削减 cut off electricity 切断
29. call off a meeting=not hold …取消 see sb off at the airport 送行
set off for the first destination
30. break in 打断/插入 be engaged in 从事
31. reply to sb=answer sb stick to sth / to doing sth
see to sb=take care of sb
take to开始, 喜欢, 沉溺于, 走向, 照料, 求助于, 适应
take to gardening when one retires take to drinking
get down to some solid work认真开始… object to sth/ doing …反对
32. tear up a letter 撕… keep up one’s courage保持…
bring up a child 抚养… break up a family 拆散…
stay up late at night=do not go to sleep until very late
33. pass away=die die away= (sound ) gradually disappear
34. cut through=take a shortcut see through one’s trick
I couldn’t get through; the line was busy.
35. in charge of负责 in the charge of，意味着在…管理下
36. add up to总计 add to=increase增加/添加
37. all at once=all of a sudden=suddenly
38. give out散发,分发,用完 give away背弃,泄露，赠送
39. keep … safe
to remain safe : cf: remaining food(剩菜剩饭)=leftover
to stay safe
40. What do you think of your new job?
How do you like your new job ?
How do you find your new job? 你认为你的新工作怎么样？
01. —I am sorry to have __ too much of your time. —That's OK, and I am glad to help you.
A. taken up B. taken on C. taken off D. taken in
02. My son John asked me to ___ him off at school on my way to work because it was raining.
A. take B. drop C. put D. cut
03. The young woman walking on the street looked nice, so Vince ___ her a lift.
A. shared B. took C. gave D. put
04. We need to ____ our active vocabulary step by step.
A. grow B. add C. develop D. raise
05. In the past ten years, Government has ____ the price of certain drugs for some 11 times.
A. dropped B. reduced C. lowed D. decreased
06. Some companies provided special benefits when employees agree to ____ a ride to work.
A. share B. take C. carry D. get
07. Every day we ____ more than 40 000 passengers to over 100 destinations around the world.
A. carry B. fly C. pick up D. bring
08. Don't forget to ____ the ice cream on the way home.
A. hold up B. come up C. turn up D. pick up
09. Could you please ____ one of your sandwiches for the hungry boy?
A. save B. share C. give D. spare
10. Children under five are not ____to this primary school except those of extraordinary intelligence.
A. accepted B. received C. admitted D. permitted
11. Mr. Johnson is a man of good temper, and his good temper never ____ him.
A. fails B. disappoints C. controls D. worries
12. In our school the women teachers ____ 56 percent of the staff.
A. turn up B. stand for C. make up D. send up
13. The mail was ___ for two days because of the heavy snows.
A. held out B. held up C. held back D. held off
14. —How did you find your sister in such a big and strange city?
—I____ her in the railway station when I was just going back home.
A. came about B. came out C. came up D. came across
15. After a successful operation, Ronaldo has begun to do some exercise to ____ strength.
A. improve B. decrease C. increase D. raise
16. If you are working even harder, you ____ to be promoted to be a manager soon.
A. promise B. wish C. turn out D. prove
17. I have visited a lot of countries and stayed in many different five-star hotels, but none of them ____ this one.
A. matches B. beats C. compares D. contrast
18. —-How much is your sweater ____? —$25.
A. cost B. paid C. worth D. worthy
19. Never ____my secret!
A. give up B. give in C. give away D. give off
20. —Did you enjoy his speech? —Sure, what he said really ____.
A. makes sense B. makes a difference C. makes sure D. makes it
21. He tried to join the Army but was ____ because of poor health.
A. turned down B. turned back C. turned over D. turned against
22. —Oh, my God, the room is in such a mess.
—It must be caused by the cat, I'll ____ all the things _____.
A. put/ out B. put/ away C. put/off D. put/ through
23. The short play put on last night did ____ large audiences.
A. take B. allow C. draw D. admit
24. He ____ to help me with my math, but I refused his help, for I decided to do it on my own.
A. prepared B. ready C. insisted D. offered
25. The boy's bad behavior ____ his mother lots of sleepless nights.
A. cost B. took C. spent D. paid
26. We need to wear sunglasses to ____ our eyes from the sun.
A. stop B. prevent C. save D. protect
27. Actually, Miss Zhang is not at all serious as she _____.
A. shows B. performs C. appears D. behaves
28. If the children are badly ____ they behave badly.
A. brought in B. brought up C. brought about D. brought back
1—5 ABCDB 6—10 ABDDC 11—15ACBDC 16—20 AACCA
01. My grandfather often told me what he had ___ in the expedition.
A. gone against B. gone into C. gone through D. gone over
02. The company ___ three factories and a coal mine.
Which of the following answer can NOT be filled in the blank?
A. runs B. operates C. manages D. organizes
03. You can't ___ English poetry unless you understand the rhythm.
A. like B. take C. appreciate D. study
04.I don't remember how many strangers my mother ___food with during the Depression days.
A. offered B. provided C. shared D. gave
05 I called the airline to ___ my flight reservation a week before I left for
A. expand B. attach C. confirm D. strengthen
06. In order to write a report on stars, we decided to ___ the stars in the sky every night.
A. design B. seize C. quote D. observe
07. Julie wants to buy a ___ computer so that she can carry it around when she travels.
A. memorable B. portable C. predictable D. readable
08. My grandmother likes to surprise people. She never calls ___ to inform us of her visits.
A. beforehand B. anyhow C. originally D. consequently
09. Many scholars and experts from all over the world will be invited to attend this yearly ___ on drug control.
A. reference B. intention C. conference D. interaction
10. The week-long rainfall has ___ landslides and flooding in the mountain areas.
A. set about B. brought about C. come about D. put about
11. The ground is slippery. Hold onto the rope and don’t ____.
A. put off B. turn up C. let go D. take apart
12. ____ the weather, the athletic meetings will be held on time.
A. Instead of B. In relation to C. On behalf of D. Regardless of
13. If people keep polluting the rivers, no fish there will survive ___.
A. at all cost B. for a long while C. in the long run D. by no means
14. The gentleman does not ____the argument but watches the other guests.
A. drop in B. fill in C. put in D. join in
15. Do you mind if I ____with my work while you are getting tea ready?
A. carry out B. come on C. carry on D. go over
16. Old memories are often ____ when you hear a particular song or a piece of music.
A. called in B. called on C. called out D. called up
17. — That’s a lovely dress.
— Do you think so? My aunt gave it to me for my birthday, but I don’t ____the color.
A. interest in B. care for C. please with D. fond of
18. The folk song concert was so well ____that all the tickets had been sold out on the first day.
A. accepted B. recognized C. received D. promised
19. The college is planning to offer more English courses to ____the needs of beginners of English.
A. meet with B. meet C. supply D. satisfy with
20. Some eighty years ago three-quarters of American production ____family farms or from business employing fewer than six people.
A. made from B. kept from C. got from D. came from
21. The period ____dance classes increases gradually from two or three hours a day to five or six.
A. referred to B. kept to C. got to D. given to
22. If you do not feel well, you should not ____going to see the doctor. ?
A. pick out B. give off C. put off D. make out
1—5 CACCC 6—10 DBACB 11—15 CDCDC 16—22 DBCBDDC
01. Teaching a pronunciation class to a mixed group of learners can a teacher with many challenging problems.
A. provide B. produce C. present D. offer
02. We want our children to know that hard work .
A. comes off B. gives off C. pays off D. sees off
03. We can’t wait. We have to the direction and the distance before we take action.
A. make out B. figure out C. think out D. turn out
04. It to look after these naughty grandchildren of mine for a whole day.
A. put me down B. drove me out C. wore me out D. pulled me through
05. We’ d better try to the plan again, I think, before we with it.
A. go through/ go on B. go on/ go over
C. go over/ go through D. go on/ go through
06. The host stood at the door and every guest a welcome.
A. nodded B. dropped off C. shook D. moved
07. No one knows when XO was first discovered, or how it to be such a popular drink.
A. went B. came C. got D. became
08. We always we have said.
A. lead to what B. see to what C. get to what D. hold to what
09. The actor was so interesting that he us laughing all the time when we were chatting.
A. made B. keep C. had D. let
10. All of us still remember the terrible earthquake that
A. attacked B. struck C. knocked D. exploded
11. As director of the company, I can’ t three weeks away from work.
A. carry B. cost C. afford D. pay
12. When I entered his room, I found him an armchair, deep in thought.
A. sitting on B. sit in C. seat on D. seated in
13. The good service at the hotel the poor food to some degree.
A. made up for B. saved up for C. took the place of D. turn out
14. His strength had almost when they found him in the desert.
A. given out B. given in C. given up D. given off
15. It takes a long time to a good fame, but this name is quickly lost but just one crime or piece of bad behavior. A. build up B. put up C. turn up D. set up
16. — I’m too much weight, doctor? — I think you ought to go on a diet.
A. putting on B. getting on C. carrying on D. living on
17. His pale face a reluctant smile when he heard the news.
A. came on B. was taken on C. took on D. turned into
18. Although the working mother is very busy, she still a lot of time to children.
A. devotes B. spends C. offers D. provides
1—5 DCBCA 6—10 ABDCB 11—15 CDAAA 16—18 ACA
01. The old woman at the street corner must be lost. She is looking around for someone to help her. A. socially B. accidentally C. tremendously D. desperately
02. A variety of preventive measures are now in order to minimize the potential damage caused by the deadly disease.
A. by birth B. at will C. in place D. on call
03. With over fifty teams competing in the tournament, all the games will be played .
A. eye to eye B. head to toe C. hand to mouth D. back to back
04.My grandmother takes a walk at six every morning. It is one of her activities.
A. likely B. routine C. extreme D. urgent
05. The heroic story that he had saved a boy’s life hit the in the local newspapers.
A. headlines B. efforts C. results D. awards
06. I don't care about the good salary offered by the company. What I need is a(n) post.
A. creating B. awarding C. challenging D. competing
07. Encouraged by the coach, the basketball players went to win the game.
A. above all B. all out C. at best D. inside out
08. Thousands of workers will be if the automobile factory shuts down.
A. turned down B. put back C. laid off D. locked away
09. how much they pay, I am not interested in this kind of job.
A. In spite of B. No matter C. No sooner D. Even though
10. The man a brave face and accepted the challenge.
A. took out B. pulled up C. shut in D. put on
11. Julie can stay with us until she finds a place of her own to settle down.
A. at the same time B. ahead of time C. for the time being D. in good time
12. The postal special service is very efficient. A package sent can be received in a couple of hours. A. delivery B. directory C. discovery D. dormitory
13. to what you think, our TV program has been enjoyed by a large audience.
A. Intensive B. Contrary C. Fortunate D. Objective
14. There is a to one’s capacity; one should not make oneself overtired.
A. relaxation B. contribution C. hesitation D. limitation
15. This story, , is very fascinating: there are many interesting characters in it.
A. on the whole B. under no circumstances C. in no time D. out of the question
16. Most of our classmates are taking a trip to
A. in honor of B. in favor of C. in search of D. in place of
17. We haven’t seen John for a long time. As a matter of fact, we have him.
A. made up for B. run out of C. come to pass D. lost track of
18. Recently in
A. found a way of B. changed the way of C. given way to D. had a way of
19. His behavior at the party last night seemed rather . Many of us were quite surprised.
A. out of practice B. out of place C. out of politeness D. out of pity
20. Do you have any of what life would be like if we lived on other planets?
A. plan B. idea C. impression D. imagination
1—5 DCDBA 6—10 CBCBC 11—15 CABDA 16—20 BDCBB
- 最新评论 进入详细评论页>>