31)do the trick 做成功;达到理想的结果
Model:
——I’ve been trying to get the furnace started, but I can’t find the right switch. (我尽力想让炉子燃起来,可不知道该按哪个键。)
——Here, I believe this one in the back will do the trick. (这里,我相信后面按这个键,可以让炉子燃起来。)
32)drag one’s feet 行动缓慢;磨磨蹭蹭不情愿
Model:
——How’s Bob coming along on his dissertation1 proposal? (Bob的论文计划进展地怎么样了?)
——He’s really been dragging his feet. (他很磨蹭的。)
33)draw the line 拒绝,拒不容忍
Model:
——Paul expects me to clean the room every week. (Paul想让我每周打扫房间。)
——That’s where I draw the line. (可是我绝对不会答应的。
34)feel down in the dumps 心情不好;情绪低落
Model:
——Kate was really feeling down in the dumps about her latest chemistry assignment. (Kate为最近的化学作业成绩感到很沮丧。)
35)few and far between 不多;少而分散的;不常碰到或发现的;稀少的
Model:
——Steve is really a terrific guy. (Steve真是不简单。)
——He sure is. Ones like him are few and far between. (当然。像他那样的人可不多见。)
36)fit as a fiddle2 身体很健康
Model:
—— Harry3! How have you been? I haven’t seen you in ages. (Harry,你好吗?好久没看见你了。)
——I’m fit as a fiddle. This exercise program I’m following is terrific. (我身体好极了。我正进行的这个锻炼计划太棒了。)
37)grin and bear 任劳任怨;毫无怨言地忍受
Model:
——Carla,I can’t take this job any longer. (Carla,我不能再做这份工作了。)
——If you need the money, you’ll just have to grin and bear it. ( 如果你需要钱,你就得忍耐。)
38)hit the spot (特指吃了食物,喝了饮料之后)精神完全恢复过来或感到满足;恢复精力;提精神
Model:
——This Lemonade sure hits the spot.(柠檬汁太提神了。)
——And how! (当然了!)
39)keep between the two of us 不让第三者知道,保密
Model:
——What I’m going to say is rather personal, so let’s keep between the two of us. (我要讲的纯属私事,所以希望你能保密。)
40)know a thing or two about 略知一二
Model:
——Do you think Andy could help us plan the camping trip to West Virginia? (你认为Andy会帮我们计划去西弗吉尼亚州野营吗?)
——Well, since he spends every summer there, he might know a thing or two about it. (可能吧。他每个夏天都去那儿,应该知道一些事儿。)
41)leave no stone unturned 不遗余力;全力以赴
Model:
——Lynn left no stone unturned in her research, and handed in an excellent paper. (Lynn全力以赴做她的研究,交了一篇优秀的论文。)
42)on cloud nine 沉浸在幸福之中;非常高兴
Model:
——Marcia looks like she’s on cloud nine. Do you know what made her so happy? (Marcia好象沉浸在幸福之中。你知道她为什么这么高兴吗?)
——She just had a paper accepted for publication. (她有一篇文章要发表了。)
43)on the tip of one’s tongue 一时想不起来,话到嘴边又忘记
Model:
——Are you sure you can’t remember the name of that record? (你肯定记不起来那张唱片的名字吗?)
——It’s just on the tip of my tongue! (我就是一时想不起来了。
44)reach the bottom of the barrel 用完,弹尽粮绝
Model:
——Don’t you have any other clean shirts? (你还有其它干净衬衫吗?)
——I guess I’ve reached the bottom of the barrel. (我想我已经用完了。)
45)rub sb. the wrong way 使(某人)有点恼火;惹怒;引起反感;烦扰,打搅
Model:
——What do you think of our new economics instructor4? (你觉得新经济学老师怎么样?)
——I don’t know. Something about him rubs me the wrong way. 不知怎么的,他有点让我反感。